Inspections & PermitsBack to Fire & Life Safety Page
It is the goal of the Orland Fire Protection District to inspect each business and multi-family building annually. It is the business owner/building owner’s responsibility to ensure that their business/building complies with all state and local building/fire codes. This includes the maintenance and required testing for fire alarm, fire sprinkler, and cooking hood fire suppression systems (restaurants only) within their buildings.
The Inspection process is designed to correct violations and issues before they become a serious life-safety threat; it is also designed to educate business/building owners in proper life-safety precautions.
Procedure for Annual Business/Multi-Family Building Inspections:
- Inspections are usually unannounced
- A representative, if one is available, should accompany the fire inspector as they conduct their inspection.
- If no violation is found you will be asked to sign the inspection form and a copy of it will be given to you. Your next inspection will be the following year.
- If a serious life-safety violation is found you will be told to correct the violation immediately.
If a standard violation is found, the fire inspector will explain the violation and give recommendations for correcting it. You will be asked to sign the inspection form and a copy of it will be given to you.
- You will be given 15 calendar days to correct the violation, at which time a re-inspection will be conducted.
- If the violation is not corrected at the time of the re-inspection, you will once again receive a copy of the inspection form and be given 15 days to correct the violation; at which time a 3rd inspection will be conducted.
- If a 3rd inspection is required the business/building owner will be assessed a $50.00 inspection fee.
If the violation is not corrected at the time of the 3rd inspection, the violation will be referred to the appropriate municipality and the business/building owner will be taken to court by that municipality (AHJ).
For more information or to schedule an inspection, please call (708) 349-0074.